Monday 25 July 2011

The wheels on the bus go all around the town!

Have you ever noticed that there are two 'flavours' of buses that we (seniors) and others travel upon to go to their work/ volunteer or appointments/or hanging out for a tea? Many buses are crowded and appear very stark. These particular busers do not share a smile and certainly don't put you on file. When we must take one of those buses, it turns out for us 'standing room only' 'Unshelved' gets upset.I say "cool it" to the "mood" today as we continue along the way. There are a few routes that have a genuine neighbourhood ambience which is the type of bus that'Hippo' and 'Unshelved' take most every day, unless having to go to a different location. That reminds me of a meeting that I had yesterday with someone who beats on a very different drum.It was an unplanned meeting with a man and a cart.I had noticed him somewhere in my whereabouts recently and thought he could use some of our keen 'seniors' nutritional advice and some healthy tips from the HIPPO too!He is somewhat of a 'rollypoly' of sorts of a man on the edge of retirement, in the grocery store yesterday as we both headed quickly into the same cashier line. He turned and looked at me and he said "Hi, You're from bus route #22." It caught me off guard and I blushed a wee bit but quickly responded with a cheerful Hello. Then I began to observe his chosen cart items,(maybe not a right thing to do) and felt that a lesson in nutrition should really begin,but biting my tongue,I didn't say a thing. My thoughts turned to salt/ sugar and plenty of fat and a few other items in that cart that make Hippos fall flat! On my bus ride this morning I noticed the same man aboard bus route #22.He rang the buzzer 6 blocks before his regular stop and the driver said "he is usually such a regular chap" and I smiled to myself wondering if he really knew if he was that kind of guy. The driver responded to the request of the stop. I beamed within,as I hoped that the chap had learned that usually making unhealthy choices doesn't go so well. To myself ,I thought that he might have some fluid and weight on his mind. After his departure the Bus driver said "it will do his heart good to walk with a few extra steps but I do think it should be in a cautious timely manner."

"I love Bus route #22"- Each day the anticipation is there for 'Unshelved' and 'myself' of whom we might meet on the bus route today that we did not know yesterday. Do you have a favourite route?

No comments:

Post a Comment