Wednesday 10 August 2011

Hippo maintains her health with a daily morning 'Smoothie'


I decided to look up some information about the 'History and Health Benefits of Smoothies.'
I begin my day by preparing and drinking a 'smoothie.'
Smoothies are generally accepted as a cold, blended beverage a little on the thick side for consistency. They can be very healthy and can contain fruit and vegetables at the same time. They differ from juices as they contain other ingredients such as yogurt,honey,sometimes wheat germ.
It is believed to have originated on the west coast of America in the 1930's. But it took years before they gained popularity in the 1960's. They began to be sold in the health food stores in the 60's/70's and were a favourite food of the Hippies. Middle eastern and Indian restaurants have served a traditional smoothie for hundreds of years.
Smoothies are undeniably good for your health. They are typically rich in vitamins, minerals and antioxidants as well as dietary fiber. I find my daily morning smoothie gives me increased energy and also increases my fruit and vegetable intake. I know that it also keeps my heart, brain and other organs healthy.I make my own smoothies at home because it is much cheaper than purchasing a commercial pre-prepared smoothie from a store. They appear to limit my need for snacking during my waking hours thus helping me not to gain more weight.
Tomorrow I will share some of my favourite 'smoothie recipes' with you...


No comments:

Post a Comment